The Times They Are A Changin

First blooms of 2019

The new year thus far has be like herding cats. I read somewhere once that more people die in February, when the ground is too frozen to dig new graves, than any other month. I also think more mechanical and technological things also fail in February. That is particularly sad because it usually is the time we are most short of funds.

I usually avoid sweeping New Year's resolutions in January because so much else is going on. But this year I unconsciously was swept up in some life changes. It was not unlike standing on the edge of the White River below Table Lake Dam when the alarm goes off signalling release of water. I didn't get swept away but I gathered up my fishing tackle and made a hasty, maybe too hasty, retreat. I am just beginning to find my footing again, and be able to quietly take stock of anything I might have missed in my haste.

Some changes we have a modicum of control over like cutting back severely on coffee, upping water consumption, returning to a pre-holiday diet. Other things, like the death of long time friends, and successive days of subzero night time temps we do not have any control over. I am trying to figure out if my computer screen flickers when first turned on because the screen is failing or the video card? An then there is the not yet two year old battery in the pickup which is registering week on the NAPA testers. Alternator okay they assure me. Maybe it is just that I have not driven it enough after starting it at zero degrees and fans at full to defrost the windows for a quick run to the store and the post office.

I really sympathize with my pickup and its battery. I feel abused by me too. And in that mood I sat down to do my tax prep to hand over to my accountant. I have this spread sheet I have used for almost 20 years. But I am not sure what will be allowed under the new TAX CUT and what won't. I have opted to do my best and add a cover letter to Judy to call me if she needs more or other information, and BTW can I depreciate my studio and my rental unit. Another small business owner I know did to avoid having to pay. I really don't want to fun his wall.

Same friend also, while waiting four months for a replacement for a defunct heater, burned all her tax records in the wood stove to avoid freezing. Why does this conjure up images of the poem The Cremation of Sam McGee? Did worry about current administration and death of friends add to this? But I digress. I stuck all the receipts I had tallied and put in a folder and tried to stuff it into the file drawer for financial matters and it would not fit.

Seems I only have to keep records for three years these days unless following a bankruptcy which is then seven after settlement. Past that so three. I began pulling files out of the drawer and piling by the wood stove when I remembered a file box upstairs with records going back to 2001. Hauled it downstairs after I noted the issues with the "box room" I have ignored.

I put a blanket over the engine of the truck and have sworn to not start it up until mid day when hopefully it will be close to above freezing. I have to run up the mountain to feed some cats. The computer screen is perfect after the first three minutes. Twelve to 18 inches of snow due Monday but it is a holiday. And if the president can go golfing after declaring an emergency I can have a pajama day while watching it snow. NAPA won't be open until Tuesday anyway.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swimming

The Pruning the Crown of Thorns

Polyethylene Packaging - a Dark Times Journal entry