Affordable Housing? The Flip Side



I am grateful I have a warm and secure home even when it assailed by violent snow storms. And when I first purchased it more than twenty years ago I was also grateful it had an attached apartment I could rent to those who could not afford a home of their own. My first tenants stayed for nine years when they could at last buy their own home. My most recent tenant moved out a few months ago into her own home.

Between those two successful rentals have been a whole list of less than admirable ones including one who was entertaining underage kids in illegal ways. With the exception of my studio addition the majority of my expendable income, which every years seems to be less, has been spent on repairs and improvements on the rental apartment. It is empty at this moment because of work which needs to be done but which I cannot find workers to do. I am doing what I can, as an older woman alone, can do, but some jobs require two or special knowledge beyond YouTube. I even refinanced my home to be able to afford hiring some of the work.

Looked at from a totally economic level it means when the apartment is refitted it will have to be rented for more money. And I run the risk of every tenant undoing the work which I am battling to get done.

I watched this morning on 60 Minutes about the affordable housing crisis in Seattle. One city where there are jobs which should be able to provide a living wage to people so they can afford a place to live. It is only one example of thousands. Angel Fire is a one horse town as far as employment like most resort towns. And getting and keeping workers in any of the other support businesses depends upon affordable housing. Lack of lower rents and people living on the streets gets all the attention. Landlords are seen as the villains.

The rising costs of providing housing is ignored. Those landlords I know are taking or have taken their rentals from the long term market and doing AirB&B instead. I am definitely considering that to recoup my expenses. Expenses which cost more and more because of inflation. New tax laws provide no benefit to long term rentals. Today's renters are not as responsible. I discontinued providing washer and dryer because of constant repairs. And I run the risk of losing my home because of illegal activities carried out by a tenant. Time and cost of court actions to evict or obtain a judgment is excessive. And even with a judgment getting the money is virtually impossible. New Mexico law favors the tenant.

So the idea of only letting short term with a credit card which can be charged for damages seems sweet. I do not have to sacrifice my home or myself to provide affordable housing. I refuse to feel guilty. There are others responsible. Like those which do not provide a living wage. Or a government which focuses on the stock market instead of the workers and what they face in a country more and more divided by the gap between the haves and have nots.

You hear about the working poor. What about the homeowning poor?




Comments

  1. I shared this. I have a local friend who has had similar experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly I believe it is becoming more and common. I was chatting with another friend who agreed with my assessment and encouraged me to just rent airb&b in the spring and summer. Winter guests were rude and crude and more destructive. I admit I had been thinking along those lines already as it just seemed easier to not have to plow the drive, etc.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I write for me but I care what my readers think. Please be polite and no scamming.

Popular posts from this blog

Swimming

The Pruning the Crown of Thorns

Polyethylene Packaging - a Dark Times Journal entry