Not My People

March to the End of Day

I am a loner. The term these days is introvert. When I was a child my mother called me painfully shy. I stuttered so that seemed to fit. I chose the edges of life. The corners of a room, the far side of the playground beyond the swings. And because of my chosen position I became an observer. I admit to being a people watcher. But I would rather watch four footed animals. They behave better.

Humans can be inspirational but they often disappoint me. The pandemic has been education in human nature. In adversity people show who they really are.

I got a political call yesterday. I quickly informed the caller I had already mailed in my ballot. He impressed me when he didn't ask if I had voted for his candidate but congratulated me in voting by mail. He then asked if I needed anything. Did I have masks, and enough food? Or just someone to talk to. I informed him I was making masks for as many of my friends as I could. And in spite of two garden fails had food in the freezer. He gave me the office telephone number just in case I should need something.

The mask making is rewarding and gives me an occupation, because art isn't selling these days. Doubt it ever will again. I am converting step by step the studio into a green house because the mice keep eating all the plants in the hot house, and my living room into a mask making venue because who entertains anyone beyond the deck these days. I cut my scraps up into specific size for the future crazy quilt. Waste not, want not. A good day is more fabric. A better day is when friends drop fabric or seeds by. As I reach the goal of all friends having at least one mask I gave to them I am putting it on a "business" footing by selling "extras" to them for $15 a piece. I think that may cover costs. But it is more about people wearing masks.

Wearing masks is a state directive currently. And the CDC and others have shown that if just 70% wore masks when they went out in public we could stop this pandemic. End the stay at home orders. But yesterday a group of visitors to our state (tourists not currently allowed but if you are a second home owner you can come) chose to ignore the Masks Must Be Worn signs on the doors of the local market. And were not just disrespectful to our essential workers when asked to leave but lifted up a small shopping cart to throw at one.

The state police arrived and threatened to shut down or local market if they could not make the customers comply with the rules of mask wearing and social distancing. If they close the store I may need that number the politician gave me.

Why should I and my friends here in the valley suffer because of the disrespect of people who should not even be here. Don't belong here. ARE NOT MY PEOPLE. Why weren't they arrested? Or fined? They were the ones who endangered us all by their senseless disregard of the guidelines set out by our governor for the safety of our residents.

I am not going to the store until they all go home. Till then I am fine with the company of dogs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swimming

The Pruning the Crown of Thorns

Polyethylene Packaging - a Dark Times Journal entry