Give to the Earth


My birthday is coming up and Facebook is again urging me to have a fundraiser and beg all my friends to donate to it. What is it about Facebook and these fundraisers? What is in it for them. Or what is the advantage of me begging my friends to give money to my choice? Facebook does not match funds. Wouldn't that be nice.

Two years ago I asked my friends to donate to Stray Hearts Animal Rescue in Taos and they did. I really am not sure that Stray Hearts got the money. No thank you note from them. Did Facebook receive that thank you? If they did they didn't thank me for making it possible. In that year I donated to a lot of my friends' causes. I gave to save the elephants in Africa, and the giraffes in zoos, and promote the cause of stopping climate change, as if that was possible.

Then Corona virus hit and my studio was closed down. All the events which I used as a way to sell my wares were cancelled. My studio went to the dogs, literally. Art was deemed non-essential but animal care was not. So I put my efforts behind Dog Gone Park because dogs and their owners were having a tough time being together 24/7. And the dogs brought me joy. 

I asked my friends last year as we were all locked down and scared to death to give to themselves on June 3rd. Pick something they would enjoy in their days of isolation. And many did. Some even called or messaged me what they had chosen as a gift for themselves. Art supplies figured high on the list. So did extra special plush pajamas, the dress du jour of that year.

This year Facebook us providing me with their suggestions of organizations I should give to. Evidently they didn't like my choice from last year. Well, I urge them to give generously to the ACLU, the USA needs them. I am a monthly donor already. It is the one charity I allow myself on my limited budget. I save my spare change to give to PBS yearly. They were not on Facebook's choices for me to hold a fundraiser for on MY birthday.

They won't like my choice for this year. I am going to ask all my friends to plant something. Give back to the earth just one small token for all we have taken from her and the atmosphere that surrounds us. Plant a tree. Or a shrub. I have planted four shrubs already. And lots of perennials this year. Usually it is just annuals to make my summer deck more attractive. But this year I wanted plants which have a chance to come back again after next winter. I chose plants native to the area. And especially those attractive to pollinators. I am giving to the birds and bees this year.

So plant something even if it is just a container garden for your patio or porch or balcony. Celebrate that we survived this horrible last year and have hope for the future.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swimming

The Pruning the Crown of Thorns

Polyethylene Packaging - a Dark Times Journal entry