Laps are Important

Thicke in the Sun

My automatic coffee maker failed. And without even a moment of silence I began looking for a replacement to my Ninja. The conversation on Facebook became which is the best value. Everyone these days has such an investment in their preferred products. All we have done the last two years is shop. It is who we are.

I was reminded I had a French Press on the kitchen counter. It was too tall to fit in a cabinet so it had to stand outside. No way could I get rid of it because when the power goes out that is how I make coffee with the help of the wood burning stove. So a decision about the replacement coffee maker did not have to be done that very morning. I opted to go low tech for a while. Discovered I liked it. Loved the ritual. Remembered I had a hand bean grinder also for when the power was out. It was easy to adjust the grind on it. Course is best for French Press. Easy to brew just what you want to drink. Not wedded to half pot or full pot or just one mug full. After a week I decided to not get a new automatic coffee maker.

When I first left corporate live I took my Day Planner with me, but on the advice of a wise friend I put ME at the top of every day's list. I have forgotten me. Grinding my own coffee beans and preparing my own coffee in the morning is putting me back on the top of the list. Gandhi meditated by spinning fiber into yarn. I have always been a Chop Wood, Carry Water mediator but when there is too much water and too much wood and several other tasks pushed into the list in my Day Planner ME gets pushed out.

Thicke is around to remind me part of my job is to provide him a lap. He has a schedule he insists I follow. At the moment he is on his blanket behind my computer. My task on his list is to be calm and centered while he sleeps. He approves the hand grinding of coffee beans. And the brewing of coffee in the French Press because it can sit on the computer desk for refills. I do not have to get up and disturb his peace.

Peace is important. It should not be casually tossed aside.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swimming

The Pruning the Crown of Thorns

Polyethylene Packaging - a Dark Times Journal entry