How Important Is It?

Making a selection among many

 

Test day. Testing hand on repetitive motions like typing. Testing iMac on what of my routine computer things I can do without more software. All while considering how important is it to have all my cloud data downloaded to McMac or an external hard drive.

Since 2010 when my computer, in the care of a recommended nerd, had its drive completely wiped, and the external hard drive failed. I have been obsessed about not losing photos or documents. Memories and also inventory as I am a photographer and a painter. Insecure about my backups I have subscribed to an cloud service. And when my beloved HP Windows 7 failed I transferred its brain to my Acer Windows 10. It took days. And since then I have taken important to me things and put them on jump drives.

I knew I had 30 days from the crash of MS10 on the Acer to transfer files to a replacement computer. I discovered there are a lot of them on my HP Laptop. And with the increased capacity of scan discs none of the photos I have taken in the last year have been deleted. When I open Blogger I found Google had cellphone photos from February 2021. Have to figure out why that date. Middle of the pandemic?

Since Trump took office I have been keeping a Dark Times Journal here. Him and the pandemic has made me examine just how important are all my memories. Or not. I am obviously not Georgia O'Keeffe or Ansel Adams. And the passing of my baby sister in December made it clear nobody is going to be fighting over my collections, or the four unpublished novels on the top of the bookshelf upstairs.

Facebook and Google seem to have kept memories they believe are important so should photos from 2018 to now be allowed to vanish into the ether? Should McMac be a new beginning - the new normal?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swimming

The Pruning the Crown of Thorns

Polyethylene Packaging - a Dark Times Journal entry