Times are Changing

The Once Great Hoop House

I read just today that the Taos Pueblo has not reopened since it closed at the beginning of the pandemic. I believe I fully understand. The Calf Canyon and Hermits Peak Fire and dozen day evacuation has me radically re-examining my life too.

I am thrilled my home was not burned down. And no doubt the residents of Taos Pueblo are thrilled their community and its lifestyle survives the two year pandemic. They may even be very glad to not have to cater to the visitors. Living in the home of a friend for 12 days gave me a chance to see how others live. And living in another town as not a visitor but not a resident allowed me another view of that town and my neighborhood.

Initially I just became overly involved with my house now that I was back in it. I had left it in a horrid mess. Running from room to room finding everything you wanted or needed to take aways from the fire with you leaves the house a total mess. I was shocked. Putting it right seemed so overwhelming especially since it was a back and forth thing. Somethings were never going to be right again like the hoophouse. No fire damage but the winds which drove the fire were damage enough.

With it all being so overwhelming I instead avoided the issue. I obsessed with my flower beds instead. Even planted some vegetables in between the decorative. Inside the house I combined straightening up with decluttering. I have taken several boxes of stuff to Angel's Attic because they were so nice to evacuees. I have kept my mail forwarding order with Eagle Nest because they were nice. I have a list of places where I will never step foot again. Sadly I hate my own county because they were so horrible.

The fire has been a line in the sand. This far and no farther. That line is still being adjusted. But I believe it will be more rigid and not less. The Hoop House will not be rebuilt. I won't be able to dismantle it in a day or a week because I am more involved in the positive - the redefining of my property and life going forward.  Epiphanies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swimming

The Pruning the Crown of Thorns

Polyethylene Packaging - a Dark Times Journal entry