Is This the End of Days/


Fall of Stars
20 x 30 Mixed Media on Artists canvas
$1350

Next to last of the End of Days series? When did the series begin? Is it even a series? Maybe it is really a period like Picasso's Blue Period. What binds these paintings together? I sat down in my studio to play with doing an interview on video and while working on framing, how to put a painting into the frame with me, where was the best lighting in my studio, an incredible dryness in my mouth making talking difficult, what came out after a sip of water and swallowing was the End of Days series. Now with a friend coming over to interview me I am struck by what to say.

I have thought of a group of paintings I began after I dared to not paint churches. They are largely canyons, my cathedrals, though here and there is a pueblo or ruin of the before people. There is nothing special about those really. I have always been drawn to the architecture of ancient ruins and yes, canyons. And old mission churches in New Mexico which I saw as man's attempt to imitate the canyons.

I have my favorite missions. Collectors have theirs. We do not always agree. And when I decided to end my participation in art fairs I stopped painting what did not interest me. I retreated back to my canyons and arches and, as a friend calls them, my ladies which I see in canyon formations. In that open space the end of days began. There is even one painting with that title but I do not know if that is the beginning. Canyon March to the Moon might have been.


Canyon March to the Moon
Sold


I did this one so early in my days of painting canyons it does not even appear on an inventory. And it is also before my playing around with oil sticks and other media. But it has the lonely quality which appears in other End of Days works. They have always been on the studio walls. Randomly. Always just a moment of solitude away. 


Over the Edge
18 x 24 Watercolor on Artists canvas
$975

They seldom lingered long until the pandemic. With the studio closed by order of the governor for two years they seemed constant companions. And more frequent. Now they have stars and comets.


Return of the Yei
13 x 30 mixed media on Canvas
$1500


I thought Return of the Yei would be the last but it wasn't I think it just heralded the take over of my studio.



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swimming

The Pruning the Crown of Thorns

Polyethylene Packaging - a Dark Times Journal entry