Resolutions?



The time has come, the walrus said, to speak of many things. Of shoes and ships and sealing wax and cabbages and kings.

And typically, as tradition dictates, resolutions for the new year. I don't do resolutions. I have called them commitments and acknowledgments but I seem to avoid the avoid the world resolutions. It reminds me of court room dramas - It is hereby resolved . . . Resolution is defined as 1) a firm decision to do or not do something or 2) the action of solving a problem, dispute or contentious matter.  I think the words firm and action get in my way.

A resolution just seems negative like stop biting your nails, stop drinking, or lose weight. Even phrased in the positive (I will do ten planks a day) has negative connotations. And half the time as you are writing them down you know you will not keep them. Not for a full year. No way. And that is assuming nothing gets in the way like a broken leg which makes planks impossible. Or a definite nail biting situation. Even nail biting can have its place.

And so I take the airy fairy way out and just decide to put some aspect of my life in the forefront in the year ahead. This year it is health. To quote Mickey Mantle: If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself. But in truth I did manage to live this long which beats some of my relatives, several of my friends, and a couple ex's I know about. Not bad considering my wild and crazy youth which included drinking a lifetime of alcohol in just 15 years. Evidence of that is I find Hunter S. Thompson funny which means I can identify with his terms of reference.

But, the time has come, to take a bit more care with life things. At least take as much care of me as I do my fur kids. They get annual check ups and so will I from here on out. Though frankly I was doing very well when I had the physical. Still it is my intention (another word I use instead of resolution) to put more focus on health, exercise, and diet.

Comments

Post a Comment

I write for me but I care what my readers think. Please be polite and no scamming.

Popular posts from this blog

Swimming

The Pruning the Crown of Thorns

Polyethylene Packaging - a Dark Times Journal entry