Voting Just Encourages Them



Dad used to joke that voting just encouraged them. But my parents always voted. And both at least outside the voting booth proclaimed to be Democrats. Mother was even precinct chairwoman at one time. We lived in a Republican neighborhood and it got all the windows broken out of both cars and red paint smeared across our driveway and sidewalk. I had to quit the senior girl scouts because of my parents' politics. I was always an introvert but due to Kennedy running for President virtually became a recluse.

I figured the Republicans were responsible for Kennedy getting assassinated and never forgave LBJ because my friends from Dallas said it was his idea.

But after college I went to work for a Republican Senator who cosponsored the bill to end the war in Vietnam. And I found myself hanging with a liberal group of young Republicans. I always figured it was more about the platform than the party. Now nobody talks about the platform. It is all about personalities. I don't like any of today's personalities. What a downfall from Kennedy or Obama. I like Bernie's platform but it is clear the Democrats will never embrace him.

So here I sit alone on the fence. I said I was not going to pick a candidate before just before the election. Canada and Australia do this in 90 days. I believe two years is insane. If this was the 60's do you know how many times my parents would have to replaced all the windows in the cars? And I probably would have dropped out of high school. As it is the majority of my election life I have had to vote for second best or against the first worse. Only a few candidates after Kennedy have excited me. They show Robert, staying clean for Eugene was fruitless and McGovern was pushed out. SCOTUS shut down Gore. I poll watched for Obama because of GW's cheating ways in 2004.

In June I will be 71 and I am tired of voting for someone I don't want to avoid someone else from becoming president. I don't believe in the two party system and in state elections vote for a candidate I like or the Green Party.

If Bernie gets shut down I am not voting for Hillary. Right after the June 7th primary I am changing my party affiliation to NONE OF THE ABOVE or Independent. And likely will vote the Green Party for President. I will vote Democrat for congress on a national and state level because I hate the Tea Party/GOP policies. I believe the two party system is committing suicide.

I am not going to be forced into thinking I have to vote for Hillary to save the party. As Dad said, it just encourages them. We talk about campaign and political reform and yet most of us will goose step behind our party leaders and maintain the status quo. I think the most revolutionary thing I can do is vote NONE OF THE ABOVE.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swimming

The Pruning the Crown of Thorns

Polyethylene Packaging - a Dark Times Journal entry