I Wish You a Bucket

Thicke in the Bucket

There are days I truly envy my cat. Thicke has it made. All the food he wants. Petting when it suits him. All the boxes he could dream of. And a bucket to hide in. He is truly the Cheshire Cat of my highly imaginative childhood. I always wanted to be able to erase myself like the Cheshire Cat in Alice in Wonderland. At a minimum I want a bucket to hide in.

Winter is my bucket. Summer just seems so exposed. I seem too much out of my comfort zone. Too many things to do and too little time to do them in. Too many events I should attend. All the summer people are in town holding court. They are all having parties or the locals are having parties for them. I would rather see them one on one. Max three for lunch. Last week was such a social whirl I just totally forgot some things I had on the calendar. My virtual bucket. "Oh, I forgot."

But in truth some things I just ignored. Like the balloons. Yes, not easy to ignore 42 hot air balloons all weekend long. But they don't land in my backyard fortunately. And if you have done a huge lift off of 650 balloons at the Albuquerque Balloon Festival what is 42? The balloon field in Albuquerque is being anonymous. I am not anonymous here. If I want to photograph the balloons I want to be anonymous. Six hundred and five balloons is Thicke in his bucket. Give me the geese on the golf course before opening day instead. Or my current project - the wildflowers of summer.

One of the mana y mana invitations I did attend was a photographic exhibit and talk in Taos with Loretta. The photographer who created the exhibit of several other photographers' works talked about having hidden behind a camera since the age of five. Hidden from her fears as she recorded them in pictures. She was telling my story. The camera is my bucket. The studio my plethora of boxes.

I have two events on the calendar this week I will attend. I will, no doubt, take my bucket with me. BTW when people talk of bucket lists I think of things I want to photograph. And like as not they can be in my backyard.

Comments

  1. I don't to bucket lists. Not sure why! Probably because anything I`d want in it would never materialize!! I too did a social whirl over the last five days and took photos. A birthday party on Wednesday from which I went home after 1.00am. Husband left earlier! A wonderful all girl's birthday party for a friend's 66th on Saturday afternoon and a very long family Father's Day breakfast yesterday for my daughter-in-law`s father. Today us a Public Holiday and I don't think I have anything else on this week except perhaps son and daugher`s birthday celebrations if they decide to have them at the weekend instead of the weekdays although daughter's is on a Saturday. But celebrating 30, she wants celebration prior to the two day one she has planned!! I think I am off the second guest list!! To be a cat would be good. I don't want to be a balloon but wouldn't mind being able to fly. You seem to have a great deal of activity in your neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Winter is my bucket....what a great saying! I find there is something both greedy and fearful about the whole concept of the bucket list. Fearful in the FOMO way. Guess what. Nobody gets it all. The banquest of life is so rich that we get indigestion trying to sample it all. Better be grateful when we have today our daily bread. I did a bucket list post a few years ago. http://freegreenliving.blogspot.ca/2012/08/the-bucket-list-is-garden.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I write for me but I care what my readers think. Please be polite and no scamming.

Popular posts from this blog

Swimming

The Pruning the Crown of Thorns

Polyethylene Packaging - a Dark Times Journal entry