Proof of Life Required


So the envelope was hand addressed. The letter inside was officially addressed to me under a previous legal name and at an address I had not lived at in 30 years. It took a moment for me to even remember it was my townhouse in Lee's Summit, Missouri when I worked for an international construction firm building a new auto assembly plant.

The stationary was official. There was contact information. I called the toll free number and verified the company existed. I, of course, Googled said company. They are a S&P 400 insurance company. In this day of scams and identity theft I was doing my propers before contacting them via email address provided and query them about where this unclaimed money was coming from. And definitely not providing any information until I was satisfied.

Seems that company I once worked for had held pension funds which were now being distributed. I am not going to get rich but it is a tidy sum given my life style. Windfall comes to mind. And the gentleman I talked to gave me his contact information, answered all my questions, and did not ask me for anything beyond proof of identity. Which I had more than once provided to film companies I had worked for. Plus marriage license linking Bernhart with Binford-Bell.

I have a fireproof box with all that stuff including a saved receipt for a camera I bought under the Bernhart name but giving my address as in care of the construction company.

The small windfall isn't here yet. Could be a few weeks. But it doesn't prevent me from dreaming a little. Dad always said found money should not be used to pay bills. But Mother always argued for a prudent reserve. I will try to honor both. Meanwhile my sister and I have begun planning for another Thelma and Louise vacation. Let the googling begin. We are thinking of a luxury resort in Utah with cameras, of course. 


Comments

Post a Comment

I write for me but I care what my readers think. Please be polite and no scamming.

Popular posts from this blog

Swimming

The Pruning the Crown of Thorns

Polyethylene Packaging - a Dark Times Journal entry