When Will I be Treated as an Adult?



I live about two miles from this road. It is one of the places I routinely go to. Only about a half mile of that trip is on paved road. Paved, not necessarily plowed. It is one of my easier commutes. Three times a day up Spyglass road in the resort is worse if only due to the huge chuckholes. And once again unplowed road. When there are pets to be fed and/or walked you don't have the luxury of waiting until the village management decides to free the plows.

Big Blue has been my magic chariot for five years. It has gotten me where I wanted to go and back again. Sometimes the most difficult part of that is my driveway. It has a failing transmission. I have debated for a month fixing it. Economically a new to me vehicle made more sense until I started dealing with car salesmen.

Typical for me I did all my research first on what I wanted and what I didn't want. I am a good communicator so I told the men what I wanted. And then they told me what they thought I wanted. And I at first told them politely they were wrong, patiently explained what I wanted again, and then tried to not lose my cool telling them not merely no but hell NO.




I have tutored new salesmen on what ground clearance really is, at what year cars became rolling computers, and damn right I can drive a stick shift. A few more people now know all photographers do not do weddings, and not all women obey the rules, or color within the lines.

After saying NO to the third Ford Escape I am beginning to consider spending the money on putting a new transmission in Big Blue.

Comments

  1. chances are you won't be sorry for repairing Big Blue - I've been repairing my old truck (1982 Ford F150 with 207k miles on it) since I had the engine rebuilt after moving here to NM back in '91 but that may have to end unless I can find a classic or antique car parts place that will sell parts for it...You know and trust Big Blue - don't cast it aside too easily...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How is Big Blue’s body? If it is solid, then if you have the money my vote is for repairing. It is an eternal dilemma with old cars, especially if the replacement will also be second hand. The real problems occur when it becomes impossible to find parts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I write for me but I care what my readers think. Please be polite and no scamming.

Popular posts from this blog

Swimming

The Pruning the Crown of Thorns

Polyethylene Packaging - a Dark Times Journal entry