Does Anyone Think?


 

Probably not. Certainly not critical thinking on any demonstrative level. We are great examples of what we once termed GIGO during the early days of computer programming: Garbage In and Garbage Out. I noticed an uptick in this in the early days of the 2020 Pandemic when I was trying to argue that I did not add a second floor to my house built in 1981. I had the plans to prove it.

Yes, I did. And yes, the assessor for the county could just drive out and see the evidence for himself. But no it was the pandemic. We were solidly locked down well and good. I could not take the plans to Raton and pound on his desk. In fact I could not even take the plans to the Chamber of Commerce to be copied on a large format copier so then mail to Raton. So they were going to go with a vague report by some one who disliked me that I had built a second floor on my aging house.

And because it was the pandemic and we were well and truly locked down I missed the official period to challenge their decision. But they didn't hold the event at the court house which was well and truly locked down. And so ensued email after email with pieces and parts of the plans labeled Upper Left to Lower Right with assembly instructions. Copies of my original appraisal which I had, but which property owners can no longer have, showed the 1981 plans in miniature with floor layouts for bot lower and upper floors, proof I decided that the upper story existed. But in the end nobody took my word. Or my proof until the appraisers were allowed out of the office for a site visit. They agreed the outside looked seamless and of a piece of construction.

So at last I won my protest against the lie of my new second floor. My property tax was adjusted downward but not as down as it was because they noticed my studio which I had filed plans for and had inspectors out for. Working in the building trades I knew this was how it was done and it kept the county in the loop, but obviously they failed to take notice. Fine. Not my mistake but I would pay for it. At least I would get the erroneously levied $2000.00 tax bill back. NO. My case was not resolved during the 30 day window in April when we were well and completely locked down.

So dealing with the county tax offices should be nothing new. But that didn't prevent me hitting the roof when I got a letter demanding all Rental Property and Occupancy Taxes I am in violation of for the vrbo on 11 Llano Vista Road, Taos, NM 87571. They have been here so they should know at least my physical address. The letter was sent to my Ocate rural delivery address so I am holding my breath for this week's mail which could well include a similar rude letter from Town of Taos and the County of Mora (I already get jury summons from them).

It is to be noted I am not in violation of these taxes and fees. Vrbo and airB&B automatically take them out and pay them forward to the legal authority. But in the case of the listed property they are paying them to the Village of Angel Fire which I am five miles outside of. And, as I understand, I cannot touch these funds, even to correct their mistake. God knows I have battered the walls of the citadel from several directions for over two solid months. 

Once property hosts filed their own taxes and fees but New Mexico in their infinite wisdom (I collect examples of where their law making has gone totally awry) decided to make this mandatory, automatic, and wrong with no avenue for correction. A Mousetrap. Meanwhile I am the one in line for the county guillotine. And I am well and truly aware they cannot think critically. They are locked into GIGO mode and I do not stand a chance. Anyone recommend a good tax attorney? 


Comments

  1. OMG. This is Kafkaesque. I get exasperated just reading about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for understanding how I feel. It is an interesting era we live in that we can connect more with people across international borders than within our own communities and families.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I write for me but I care what my readers think. Please be polite and no scamming.

Popular posts from this blog

Swimming

The Pruning the Crown of Thorns

Polyethylene Packaging - a Dark Times Journal entry