It Isn't Always Easy

Evening Grosbeak


 It has been a bad year for birds. Even with most of the humans out of their way there seems to have been a huge die off in populations. For me, however, there seems to have been an abundance of some species. The Evening Grosbeaks normally in the high pines were in my meadow (with large spruce tree) partaking of the bird seeds I normally reserve for harsh winter days. They were joined by a bevy of Redwing Black Birds normally in the marsh areas. But barely represented were the hummingbirds. 

We all put up our feeders and watched patiently for them and carefully monitored the level in our feeders but they didn't come in swarms and the feeders did not need refilled. We refilled them only because we worried about the freshness. Nobody mentioned it on Facebook. When Cheryl mentioned it, just above a whisper, as we sat on my deck and noticed a solitary hummer approach one of my four feeders. Where are they?

I mentioned a Wendy's hamburger and was set upon by numerous suggestions for better ones and friends being aghast I should even consider such a thing. But no defense of similar size when I mentioned absence of hummers, though a couple mentioned they had them in other places but not on our flyway.

And Covid lockdowns seem to have ended as of today with a whimper and not a celebration. I say whimper because a large group of us seem to be just putting a toe (or less) in the water. It is like being in a huge 8.2 earthquake and dreading the aftershocks. Too many questions out there from the missing humming birds, to the Evening Grosbeaks not being where they should be, to the huge heat dome in June over most of the US, to even the Champlain tower falling in Florida and the 100 plus bodies not being found. It all feels very Twilight Zone-ish.

I raced to Taos to stock up on emergency supplies in advance of the zombies arriving for the 4th of July. Oh, and BTW I am not flying my flag. Since it was used to attack the Capital Police on January 6th it is not my flag. I have a sewing machine, and material. I have idly sketched designs on my grid pad which sits always at my computer for jotting down ideas and directions, and a random Acorn of Britbox suggestion. I may begin with a clutch purse size suitable for a passport.

Note: still no humming birds of any number. They are more than just late. They are Missing. Meanwhile most of the misplaced Grosbeaks seem to have moved on where they should be. I hope. It is almost like the year all the geese and their goslings were sucked off the area golf course.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swimming

The Pruning the Crown of Thorns

Polyethylene Packaging - a Dark Times Journal entry