Sidetracked Again



Happy Halloween everyone. I bought a pumpkin a few days ago and my intent was to carve it on All Hallows Eve - yesterday. But that did not get done. I was cleaning up the studio before making a mess again with the pumpkin and got sidetracked into preparing two platforms for two new paintings.

I got out of Dodge over last weekend and came back to cold and extremely cold temperatures. It has been nice to be in the livingroom of my house not far from the woodstove. Yesterday the sun came out which warms the studio due to its passive solar design and ultimately the rest of my house. So it was comfortable to work in the studio. And the view was not reminding me of just how cold it was outside.

How cold was it? Well, yesterday morning when I walked the fur kids the recorded temperature was 13F but there was a bitter wind which went right through my old winter coat. That is toast. I figured I might have to buy a new one and was debating Sierra Trading on line or the local thrift store when I remembered the upstairs closet in the sewing room and a North Face ski jacket I was very fond of. Bought it the year I totaled myself in a ski accident. It still fit. And I am clearly not skiing anymore.

Coat problem solved I then tackled business insurance, commission issues, studio mess, laundry, dishes, and misting of orchids. I am told the lack of humidity is why my orchids do not bloom. It is amazing the lengths I can go to avoid cleaning up the studio. Or getting back into a routine after breaking it with travel. I got my confirmation for the holiday market show here in Angel Fire over Thanksgiving weekend and I do have to get back into a routine to produce some smaller paintings for Christmas giving. And then I want to have a December reception at the studio.

When I was living in Washington, DC I used to visit the West Virginia Mountains all the time. We camped on the Blue Ridge not far from Elkins and there was a major train yard there. There had to be over 500 rail cars sitting around on sidetracks in the yard. I read, a year, after we left the area that they were all stolen cars. A band of thieves would uncouple and derail boxcars there, steal the contents, and then they were trying to re-paint and re-sell the cars. That was obviously much slower going so the cars piled up.

Sometimes I feel like Elkins, West Virginia. Or the ghosts pictured above. Off on a siderail waiting for something to happen.

Comments

  1. Remember, life is what happens when we're busy making other plans. Maybe you are just getting a breather in between 'happenings'. Or for another metaphor, just on the slow uphill climb of the next roller coaster hill. Hang on, girl, there are thrills ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOLLL, your putting off the cleaning of the studio reminded me of my activities when I had an unpleasant task to do (at the time I was writing up my thesis. when I got "stuck" I used to go out and clean the fish pond in the garden - an obviously unpleasant task but better than the dreaded "stuckedness".
    Happy All Hallows, have a good Winter!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I write for me but I care what my readers think. Please be polite and no scamming.

Popular posts from this blog

Swimming

The Pruning the Crown of Thorns

Polyethylene Packaging - a Dark Times Journal entry