Rainy Day Monday Two

And the sun shone weakly by J. Binford-Bell


It seems to have rained for a lot of days - or threatened to rain for a lot of days. Here in New Mexico we are not used to a lot of consecutive days without the sun shining. And if you are counting it did manage to peak through from time to time. Rather half-hearted to my way of thinking. I want to get back to the studio but its windows do not radiate light and warmth. The dogs seem mostly in hiding because of the rumble of thunder from time to time.

From yesterday afternoon to now we have gotten a half inch of rain, but rainfall before has been a bit minimal. A couple showers yielding a scant 1/4 inch. But mainly it has been what I would call California winter days. I spent a couple months one winter in Laguna Beach. Never actually rained but it was forecast as a possibility daily.

The fog would roll in (not sure it ever really rolled out) and such dense and wet fog you could not see the beach. The fog seemed to muffle the sound even or the suppressed the waves. Even with no rain going out required a rain coat and hat. You came back cold and damp. There was one small wall heater that seemed to also be dampened by the endless days of no sun. Facing a return to New Mexico I gave up on finding a sunny day and headed to the beach for some body surfing. I think the water was warmer than the air.

Just the memories of those days makes me want to stoke up the fire here in present day. It seems to be rather feeble because of the 40% plus humidity for several days. The firewood, even in the wood shed safe from rain, seems to have absorbed the damp in the air.

The Internet promises a return to sunny days and plus 70 F weather tomorrow. I am resisting the urge to climb back in under the covers and wait until then. Another log for the fire, locate the fleece lined hoodie and the half gloves, heat water for tea.


Comments

  1. I know the feeling of those damp days so well and have to say here that you described the fog blanketing everything in sight, to a tee. I can smell it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I understand. We had a holiday once in which we sunbathed on the beach in thick fog and went home very brown without having seen the sea.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I write for me but I care what my readers think. Please be polite and no scamming.

Popular posts from this blog

Swimming

The Pruning the Crown of Thorns

Polyethylene Packaging - a Dark Times Journal entry