The Edges and Cuts


My sister photographing
 My sister and I share a passion for photography. I have missed her and our treks with cameras since she moved back to Texas. So naturally when she came to visit we planned a trip to Kash-Katuwe Tent Rocks National Monument which we both had not visited. I have posted two blogs on Creative Journey of black and white images of this amazing geology. But I realized today I had not posted beyond Facebook any of the color photographs. Or those with my sister in them.

The Trees reaching for the sun

The slot to the right through which we must pass


Debbie showing scale in the slots

For me it was all about the slots. But my more adventurous younger sister wanted to prove we could make it to the top. The trail rises about 1100 feet in the 1.6 miles from base to ridge and it is by no means an easy stroll. There are the many slots to be climbed through.

One of the wider slots to go through
I am claustrophobic and short. Some of the rocks deposited in the slots were a challenge to climb over especially with camera and camera bags. It would have been embarrassing to get stuck. 



 As you leave the slot canyon and begin the switch backs up the cliff face the views are spectacular. And hikers heading down provide encouragement and reasons to go the whole way. 


I am more afraid of heights than I am claustrophobic. So I could have stopped here. But it wasn't the top Even if it was a good view of the tent rocks.

Looking down on the tent rocks

Look out beyond the canyon

Cochiti Lake in the plain below

Yes, it was nice making it to the top but we spent a lot more time on the way down photographing the rocks and trees and slots.




It is a must trip even if you choose to not go to the top. Pick a day it does not look like rain and get an early start. I plan to go back to the slots.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swimming

The Pruning the Crown of Thorns

Polyethylene Packaging - a Dark Times Journal entry