It Took A Year



 

When the pandemic had just plunged us into a lock down a long time renter had just bought a house and moved out. As was my practice I did not want to immediately rent my apartment out. A month or two empty was good for repairs and improvements. But with the passage of legislation to get us past this crisis I changed my mind. If I had a renter I could not press them for rent payments or could I evict them for non-payment. I decided as converting my rental property to short term -- VRBO or AirB&B.

And so I began. My previous renter had left some furniture. The big things she didn't want to move. I certainly had art for the walls. And the carpet needed replaced. A friend sold me some laminate flooring she had overbought. I love to paint. Yes, even walls. And as I knew I was redoing the floors no drip cloths required.

Living room looking toward entry hall


As it is what is called and open floor plan downstairs there is no painting just one room. I picked up more paint cards than is wise and began the process of eliminating choices. The apartment had been painted a neutral adobe beige which showed marks from rental history. I went finally with a designer paint card with four colors and began. 


Writing desk with painted chair



I paint walls and paintings and chairs. I had fun deciding which color went where and then appointing and staging. As it begins to bring in income as opposed to just outgo it may be time to finish up my living space.


Kitchen table and opening to Living Room

North East Corner of kitchen


Kitchen Appointments to make life easier

The washer and dryer arrive next week and the bifold louvered doors to close off the laundry space will be hung. Kitchen as electric stove, dishwasher, microwave, and expanding dining table.

Now that downstairs is largely done I am turning my attention to detailing the upstairs, hanging blinds and window treatments. Two bedrooms upstairs and a full bath. Half bath downstairs.

Queen bed in large bedroom


Small bedroom with double bed and twin bunk above


Lots of work but very rewarding and when not booked no doubt I will be working on refinements.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swimming

The Pruning the Crown of Thorns

Polyethylene Packaging - a Dark Times Journal entry