Agonizing Re-appraisal #122


 

Not sure about the number. Know it is not the second such event. And have a feeling I have used the title for a blog more than once. And since Covid-19 demanded a lot of that. Now it would seem getting back to normal (lol) seems to require a lot more of that. The conversion of the apartment from long time rental to vacation rental was just one reappraisal. And a good one I do not need to rethink.

I have definitely rethought my living space which is now devoted to office and sewing center. Not sure that was so much a thought/decision thing as reappraisal would indicate but a migration based on use. Guests hardly ever see the living room. The deck and the studio is where that happens. And I with the pandemic no guests and now a select few. I see more dogs than people. And the studio reflects that but looming ahead is the return of the Angel Fire Studio Tour. Things have got to change before that on the 25th and 26th of September.

But the agonizing re-appraisal of which I am writing today is my bedroom nest. And the bed is definitely a nest. During the dog days of Mardi Gras and Magique it was their nest too. I shunned new coverings because why spend money on fancy dog bed. I was focused on thread count of sheets. Comforters came second hand from the thrift store. Today it is just Thicke and I which occupy the bed. And so I decided to purchase a comforter new. And more high threat count Egyptian cotton sheets. It may be time to renew pillows though I believe I have finally gotten these scrunched into desirable shape. Picky about pillows.

A friend mentioned recently that everyone seems just a bit off since we can go about without masks. July 1st our governor plans to reopen our state. I am not ready. I still carry masks and still wear one at some businesses. I am NOT giving up the six foot of distance unless you are a real good friend and I know you are vaccinated. A week ago I ventured to the farmers' market and I know my mind was off, as my friend would put it. I was a bit paranoid, yes. And my mind was on how things were over not last year but the year before. I drive down roads in Taos and so much has changed. Yes, I was just there but not last year but the year before. There was no last year. I feel as if I have been through a time warp. Stranger in a Strange Land. Rip Van Winkle awake after 100 years.

I chatted with a vendor about the bags she was sewing. Familiar territory. I bought two dozen eggs from someone other than the vendor I used to buy from then I slow walked to my car which I had parked in the over flow lot. I no longer seek the parking space closest to the door. I doubt I ever will again.

This is harder than just buying a new plush comforter on Prime Day. In the next eight days I am going to have to think hard about just how much of normal I want to go back to. If any.

You?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swimming

The Pruning the Crown of Thorns

Polyethylene Packaging - a Dark Times Journal entry