Is Your Fur Kid Ready?


Bark Camp

It seems all the vogue these days to not put dogs into kennel cages. And that is probably spurred on by the number of rescues who spent too long in cages waiting for forever homes. And it is probably an adjunct of the dog parks. And our dreamy liberal belief that all dogs get along when off leash.

I have a huge yard which once held four llamas. My dogs, at the time two shepherds and a standard poodle, had a much smaller yard until I sold the llamas. I had begun a day job (all artists should have day jobs) of pet sitting cats and dogs at the homes of clients. Works well with cats. Once a day and they are happy. But dogs require more attention so I began having a dog or two at my house. It began with Summer, an aging golden retriever, when her owners went to Mexico for an extended period. Summer was so easy and got along with my cats (multiple at the time) and my dogs (Magique and Mardi Gras).

In my small community word gets out. Soon a few of my friends asked if I could include their dog while they went on vacation. Copying from an episode of Midsomer Murders I set up an interview process. My family has always owned, raised, trained, and shown dogs to one degree or another and I know all dogs do not get along. Like children a lot depends on how they are raised. But even with my exacting restrictions I soon had a select group of clients. I am not Unleashed Taos and have no desire to be.

And it is not as easy as it seems at first blush to be. Dogs do need supervision and petted and fed. And their owners are not there to do that. And all dogs will miss their owners. Some more than others. And some dogs are just not ready for the wide open spaces. And other dogs. If you are thinking of putting your dog in one of these new kinds of care centers ask yourself if your dog is ready. Has he or she been frequently to a dog park or at a minimum walked with other dogs on leash? Does your dog play well with others? How demanding is your fur kid of your attention above all else? And does your dog obey all the standard commands like come and sit and enough? Does your dog respond to No or its name?

If you said no to any one of these questions your dog is not ready for dog camp. But do not despair there are ways to make your dog ready for the new concepts in boarding. First would be a basic obedience class. Second some dog park visits or social engagements with other dogs. Third a few day care (leaving your dog for just the day) dates. 


The blondes at play

Having total freedom in a large yard with other dogs they don't know can be scary for some dogs. And few kennels are the totally closed cages they used to be. I choose wisely the dogs I keep. And as an owner you should choose wisely where and how you board your fur kid. 

In these uncertain times your dog should be educated to the possibility it may have to be left at a vet or a kennel or with a friend. Or, heaven forbid, thrust into the dog rescue system. A dog which has never experienced a weekend without you will be terrified even if it lands in the best of all possible dog care worlds.

I have been looking lately for a new-to-me dog as Magique is getting a lot more fragile. Spend a few weeks visiting on line rescue organizations and you will become more aware of the issues. There are dogs who won't walk on a leash, who do not tolerate other dogs, no children, must have large yard, is an escape artist, suffers from anxiety, not house trained . . . the list goes on. And those dogs have a lessor chance of being adopted out. Every dog of mine has been through a basic obedience class. It makes them a good citizen. And it prepares them for almost everything.

Comments

  1. So very true! I used to dog sit for a friend and we were lucky to have a friendly galumph of a dog and cats that were used to dogs to ease the transitions. We ended up picked by one dog. She went to her home 4 miles away after her family picked her up. She kept showing up at our house in the morning until my friend just left her with us. Sure miss that dog, she was great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I regularly house sit when my son and daughter-in-law go flying off! From Wednesday, I will be there fora few days. Yu know they have four dogs, all which are more than manageable. However, the fourth and latest needs far mmore attention than her elders - she suffers from separation anxiety and it never gets better.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I write for me but I care what my readers think. Please be polite and no scamming.

Popular posts from this blog

Swimming

The Pruning the Crown of Thorns

Polyethylene Packaging - a Dark Times Journal entry