The Beast within Me




The Alien beast
living in my body
Sounds like a dragon
or an invading army.


It rumbles in my chest
from my tummy 
to my throat
And spews like a volcano.


I try to make it sleep
afraid to wake it
with that first cough
Its tail tickling my throat


One cough
is never enough
From throat
to abdomen it runs.


And back again
at last quiet
for the briefest of times
Until the dragon again awakes.


I did everything I could
followed all witchy advice
I avoided eastern carriers
Drunk elderberry syrup.


The witches lied
I feel so betrayed
huddled here in my cave
around the dragon within.

Jacqui Binford-Bell

Note: I have lost four pounds, perhaps more friends. I am a pariah among my own people. A carrier of the dreaded beast. But today I know I will live. But clean up won't be pretty.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swimming

The Pruning the Crown of Thorns

Polyethylene Packaging - a Dark Times Journal entry