Both Sides Now


 

Someone said in the last couple days that the Calf Canyon and Hermits Peak wildfire has been going on for 48 days. So let's say 50 by now.

It is actually Hermit Peak unless you are from Mora in San Miguel County where it stands. They call it Eagle Peak. The Anglos renamed it for an Italian religious recluse Giovanni Maria de Agostini, who lived in a cave on a narrow ledge on the southeastern side of the mountain about one hundred feet below the summit rim.

Regardless of what you call it that is where our massive wildfire began on April 6th. It was declared contained but winds spread it to Gallinas Canyon to begin the Calf Canyon Fire. I get rather confused about then because there was the Cerro Pelado Fire, Scott's Ridge Fire, and the Cooks Ridge Fire. All the same fire with different names? Or all wind born spawn of the Hermit Peak fire. What I did know was Mora was evacuated and I had a friend who lived in Mora. I invited her to stay in my vacation rental which I wasn't going to rent until the fires were under control.

My friend arrived with family members. Charley's Hideaway sleeps five. This fire, whatever you wanted to name it, would be over soon. I have been wrong before. Discussions of the fire's path became scary as town after town was evacuated. Kate had more relatives who took flight to Eagle Nest. She wanted to go back to Mora against all orders to the contrary. I had another friend, who had recently purchased a home in Eagle Nest, offer me shelter if Hidden Lake was to be evacuated.

On May 11th, 34 days after it had begun, Hidden Lake was ordered to evacuate. Kate had been my guest for 30 of those days and suddenly we are both homeless. The fire was spreading every which way, and the newly homeless scattered to the four winds. All except the second home owners, who could flee back to their state of residency, wanted to stay close to their houses.

It is not easy giving shelter or taking shelter. We are all out of our comfort zone with no idea how long that will be.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swimming

The Pruning the Crown of Thorns

Polyethylene Packaging - a Dark Times Journal entry