Bugging Out


 

A friend of mine just stated she had put her bug out bag in the hallway just in case. Bag? Just one bag? I returned from evacuation last night and began the unpacking of the Explorer - a full sized SUV. First out was the 15 Orchids.

Okay I will admit they were not a necessity for life. But happiness. Definitely a necessity for happiness. And of all the things I packed in a rush to get out of the fire's path they made me the happiest and that is definitely important. Maybe the most important. I have seen numerous lists of things to pack when evacuated (none of which fit in one bag) and nothing listed as for your happiness. In fact most lists do not ascribe a value for items.

And in this modern digital era most are now unnecessary if you bank by computer. Insurance papers, mortgage documents, tax records all can be obtained on line with your smartphone or tablet. I also brought my laptop because, well, because I have one and find them more comfortable to blog on, and as it is older is likely to have more historic files. But it was the cellphone which never left my hand. It was quite handy as a connection to my "real life" beyond my temporary location.

Here to fore it was my digital camera which was the first into the vehicle. This time I forgot the "lifelines" which connected it to the other players. Still, it took the best photos and held them safe until I got back to base and the MAC. But it was the smartphone, chosen for its ability to take photos, which played best with the orchids which produced tableaus marking time in exile. This one was for day 10.




And this one for Day 9. Yes, I played with my orchids and they are not delicate as I always assumed. They were loaded into the back seat and traveled ten miles, unloaded and then reloaded. And unloaded again back home. All in very high winds. One day they had to all be huddled together and subjected to 50 f weather. Would I do it again? Absolutely.




I did not use the sewing machine and while I had brought watercolor pencils and paper I did not use them. But I did carry them downstairs a couple times to be used on the dining room table. My tablet had several books I was in the process of reading, and computer games that hypnotize me but I only picked it up when I wanted to see something larger. The laptop was handy when paying bills, contacting the insurance company and writing a couple blogs about the experience.

So minus orchids maybe I could have bugged out with one bag if it had not been for clothes, bedroad, cat and dog good and supplies, cat and dog, all the chargers and connectors needed for the electronics and the card reader and charger needed for the digital camera, and of course the camera. And the three seasons of weather in 12 days and the appropriate clothing.

And I should mention returning to my house required two trips.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swimming

The Pruning the Crown of Thorns

Polyethylene Packaging - a Dark Times Journal entry