Reducing Your Life to One Liners

Patchwork
In the beginning of my participation on Facebook there was a limit to the number of characters in a status message. We were all thrilled when they relaxed that limit of 120 characters. But at the same time they eliminated the Note or Journal option.

Some of us went back to other platforms to do our journals and then link them to our FB pages. Others made longer and longer status messages with no break for paragraphs (note there is a way to do that) which were difficult to read. Obviously FB wanted us to stay short and sweet so they introduced the special backgrounds which only work with 120 characters or less. I fell for it hook, line and sinker. I even spent inordinate amounts of time editing my message so it would fit in their arbitrary frame. I even discovered that you could push the limit by when you picked your colorful background. In short, I am good at playing to the stage presented.

Then there were those cute little icons. Not just the thumbs up. We asked for a thumbs down. And we got laugh, and cry and fume. Result is we no longer even had to comment on the status message of a friend. We could just click the right "button." And if how you felt didn't fit into one icon (I like what you said but it is so sad) there was easy access to emoji's or gifs. We could sit in on a conversation without typing a single word.

Is that a conversation? I say more to my cat, Thicke. And he understands more. We have longer and more meaningful conversations.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swimming

The Pruning the Crown of Thorns

Polyethylene Packaging - a Dark Times Journal entry