The Ute Park Fire from the Safe Side

Dawn of Day Two

The two bumps on the left side of the photo above are actual tops of the smoke column from the Ute Park Fire. I am on the safe side of that mountain. Though as a survivor of the Hondo Fire I know there is no safe side. That fire set a ground speed record (no crowning) of nine miles in a half hour. As the crow flies I am about 20 miles from the Ute Park Fire. Too close. But I set for 22 days within a mile of the Hondo Fire.

Things I learned from the Hondo Fire

1) The longer you are given to evacuate, the less things you find important enough to take. Note that can include husbands. 

2) Animals are important (maybe more important than husbands) and every evacuation plan should include them.

3) If you cannot take cows and horses cut your fences so they can flee.

4) Stay put until told when and how to leave.

5) You are never too tired to be totally (and instantly) awake the minute the wind shifts.

6) I will never forget the sound of an exploding Ponderosa Pine.

7) Never chain your dog to the front porch because he might run away.

8) The best time to develop an emergency plan is before the emergency.

9) Horde cash for that day.

10) Nothing in the material world is as important as you think it is.

Other truths about about fire:

It makes for beautiful dawns

Smoke goes anywhere it wants

But that can make good pictures

You need to pay close attention to where  it is
 and how big it has become.

And it complicates things. Even if you are on the safe side of the mountain. Like mail because the route the mailman takes is closed. It burns through electrical, fiber optic cables, and communication lines so screws up cell phone service and internet access for even the next valley over the next mountain. It is a great excuse to not have to serve jury duty - there is a fire in the way. 

It dampens the tourist traffic, but it brings communities together. And most people are at their best. 

Comments

  1. Thank you. I have bookmarked this post. I really need to get my evacuation stuff together, just in case. And have the house ready to receive evacuees from elsewhere, also just in case. Fires are a natural part of the B.C. Southern Interior forest, but that doesn't mean we are ready to see our lives go up in smoke.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I write for me but I care what my readers think. Please be polite and no scamming.

Popular posts from this blog

Swimming

The Pruning the Crown of Thorns

Polyethylene Packaging - a Dark Times Journal entry