My Newest Toy

Air Compressor
I am not sure where I fell into the habit of calling power tools toys. Maybe it was on one of my many trips to the hardware store with my father. Or from my mother when we returned with some new tool Dad needed to do a chore. Working as an journeyman electrician with our electrical contracting firm I began seeing tools as the great equalizer.

Women are the weaker sex only because they don't have the right toy. And they are not all power tools. Take for instance the all purpose, no home should be without it, high lift jack. Yes, you can jack up a pickup oh so much easier than with the toy jacks that come as standard equipment, but you can also get your four wheel drive jeep unstuck or pull t-posts which have been in the ground for a quarter of a century. I have one of those.

But I also have a battery powered drill and a saws all and a circular saw and a table saw and compound 12" miter saw with laser guide. I won't bore you with the hand tools the the wrench for sink facets is a must have. But until yesterday I did not have an air compressor. But I did have a slow leak in one of the pickup tires.

To be truthful I have always been just a bit afraid of air compressors. And when I opened the "manual" for my new Porter Cable I got more afraid. It was a 25 x 36 map fold broadsheet in three languages with bold black Danger and Warning notices liberally sprinkled about. It looks like a robot from Star Wars and something which could be used (like a pressure cooker) to build a bomb.

I read all the relevant portions in my language and even marked crucial points (turn the on/off switch off before starting) with a yellow marker. Then to be sure of my knowledge I watched a couple selfie videos on YouTube where I got fascinated with all the possible accessories like a nail gun and a paint sprayer. I want the high pressure power washer attachment soonest. But first I had to tackle using the compressor for the purpose I bought it for - putting air in my truck tire. Two things can blow up here - tank of compressor and tire.

Took a bit of time to understand tank pressure vs regulator pressure balance. And it might be wise if trying to put 70 psi in a tire you have the regulator pressure at greater than that though the "manual" and the YouTube videos didn't touch on that. But it was super quick to put 35 psi in to the Corolla tires. Looking forward to more fun with my new toy.

Not sure I can refold the "manual."


Comments

  1. Replies
    1. I have one question which I need to find an answer for with it. I know it requires electrical power to fill the 6 gallon air tank. But once that is filled can I toss it in the car and use it to pump up the tire without an electrical cord.

      Sometimes I wish my father and/or my late husband were around so I could call them up and get answers. Not unlike calling up my late mother to get the stew recipe.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I write for me but I care what my readers think. Please be polite and no scamming.

Popular posts from this blog

Swimming

The Pruning the Crown of Thorns

Polyethylene Packaging - a Dark Times Journal entry