Compassionate Leave


I have always loved this Andy Warhol painting of Marilyn Monroe (also a Gemini) because without a single change of expression the colors change her Mercurial mood. Like many an actress she had mastered the "looking good" facial expressions. I can be really good at that myself.

For a month now everyone has been asking me how I was. And I have been saying, "Fine. Just Busy." It wasn't like my husband had died. Mind you I have had one or two I would have cheered had they died. Sorry about that. Having my sister's husband die suddenly seemed rather removed from me so why shouldn't I be fine. If I had worked at a mainstream company I would not even have merited compassionate leave beyond attending the funeral.

Maybe it is just my close tie with my sister. I can so often read her mind even when separated by states. But it dawned on me this morning that I am not "fine-just-busy." Yes, I am busy and it borders on frantic. And now the little accidents have crept in. This happens when I ignore an issue. I tripped over my shop vac yesterday. Hell, it is 3 feet tall. Looks like R2D2 but I tripped over it. Nice bruise forming. And the broken saw must be something I am not paying attention to - mind elsewhere. And I stopped taking paintings off the studio wall yesterday when I realized my balance was not what it should be to be on a ladder. Stress can do that.

But taking a break (be it compassionate or otherwise) is not possible until Monday. So like Marilyn I will just smile for the camera.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you'd do well to listen to your body. I didn't and you know the trouble for me that has resulted.

    The fair is over now and you won two Blue Ribbons but you still need time, too. Take it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I write for me but I care what my readers think. Please be polite and no scamming.

Popular posts from this blog

Swimming

The Pruning the Crown of Thorns

Polyethylene Packaging - a Dark Times Journal entry