Castaneda Hotel awaiting renovation December 24, 2001 I was hit by a drunken skier while teaching a lesson at Angel Fire Resort. Prior to that day I was known for my memory. It took me a while to totally know the depths of the loss that day. I was thrilled at first that I had only lost three and a half hours of time. Later, when I passed the short term memory tests, I was elated. Except for not always knowing the right word at the right time my mind seemed fine. But recovery from a closed brain trauma is a very complicated thing. To stay sane I concentrated on the positive, and practiced what I did not want to lose. Unfortunately I was not really aware of what I had lost. Largely I do not miss what is not in my head any more. At least until I am confronted by friends or circumstances with the reality of what is gone. Last weekend I was in Las Vegas, New Mexico with an old friend. She was driving and we went to places in Las Vegas I did not remember. She talked of adventures th...
I had no idea old dogs would be so much like old people.....the whole pride thing, and the wandering away. It is so heartbreaking that their lifespan is so much shorter than ours. You are right, it is not fair to sacrifice the life of the younger dog (or person) completely to the needs of the old one.
ReplyDeleteVery interesting how similar the issues are with dogs and people. The same heartbreak, the same finding balance between meeting the needs of the old and the young...
ReplyDeleteI*am so sorry I missed this but then again, I really haven't been around that much. An early morning greeting on FB, the odd comment on a status and that's been about it. No blog reading and definitely no writing.
ReplyDeleteOlder dogs are harder to handle. I feel sad for you watch your beloved fur kids get older. Sixteen is quite some age.
And then losing Willow. That is just beginning to sink in.
ReplyDeleteI know. I was convinced Willow would come back.
Delete