Good News/Bad News for the Holidays

Sundog Dawn

The holidays and me are a love/dread relationship. Heavy on the dread. I once wrote an article about Murphy's Laws for the Holidays. Number one was if it can go wrong it will go wrong on a holiday. Mom died on Thanksgiving. And I was hit by a drunk skier on Christmas Eve. Everyone wanted me to go away until after Christmas. When I was finally able to get an appointment with a neurologist he looked at my MRI scans and said, "Well, the good news is you didn't die."

I start gritting my teeth before Thanksgiving which may be the reason I broke a tooth this morning. Dentist is out of the office but I will call Monday anyway and see if there is anything which can be done. I know don't chew on that side. And my guess is it a tooth with a root canal because it doesn't hurt. But my tongue plays with the gap, which has edges.

Minor compared with some of the news which has been churning around me and those I care about deeply. And for those I don't know who have been burned out of their houses losing everything. And we haven't made it to Christmas yet.

I was feeling pretty good about the usual end of year bills. I bought my house at Thanksgiving so the seasonal insurance bills come due. That is escrowed but it is about now my mortgage company recalculates that. And for some reason both car insurance bills come due. The computer celebrates it's eighth birthday on the 10th of December. I cross my fingers every time I go to turn it on. And Magique is now 15 years and 8 months and I check if she is still breathing when she is too quiet. All those things could wreck havoc with the savings. Not to mention how much the tooth will cost. I am of the age there are no cheap visits to the dentist. Though I got lucky at the annual checkup. I feel betrayed.

There has been good news. Maybe I am just a Grinch. I have become more a fan of celebrating Epiphany. Once January 6th comes I feel relieved.








Comments

  1. Feeling it. Holidays are dreadful. All the expectations and forced gaiety.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I write for me but I care what my readers think. Please be polite and no scamming.

Popular posts from this blog

Swimming

The Pruning the Crown of Thorns

Polyethylene Packaging - a Dark Times Journal entry