Hurrah for Celery

Aero/hydro garden

First let me say I am not even sure I like celery. At least not the celery you buy in stores. But I had the same reaction to beets and carrots. Then I discovered carrots are not necessarily orange. They are yellow and red and whitish and purple. Beets can be the same. I particularly like orange beets and they don't stain my clothes like beet red beets. Chard also comes in colors beyond green and white.

I began my hoop house garden to raise lettuce in varieties the local market did not carry like red leaf. Summer is when I eat lettuce and winter I don't because it is all green, comes in plastic boxes, and sometimes with e.coli. This year I got the aero/hydro garden and have had two salads from it already. You will notice from the photo above it has red lettuce. Wishing I had bought the 9 cell version instead of 6 but spring is like only 78 days away. So time to begin planning for the garden.

Yesterday I sat down with my packages of seeds and a chart on how early they should be planted inside to be a viable planting for the hoop house by the first of May. I can plant celery and leeks the first of February in my humidity dome for propagation of seeds.

Outside currently

I am hoping I like celery I grow myself even if it isn't red. So many things I grow taste so different from what you can by from a grocery store. Take garlic. I grow a spicy Italian garlic which has streaks of red in its covering. There is a Thai basil and a Mexican oregano. And curly parsley as well as flat. My asparagus is purple.

I may have become the garden version of the crazy cat lady.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swimming

The Pruning the Crown of Thorns

Polyethylene Packaging - a Dark Times Journal entry