Sheltering in Place



Spring break is over early. All the ski areas in my state were urged to close after Colorado, our neighbor to the north, shut down and every skier seemed to be heading south to invade our state for more skiing. To say that residents here panicked might be overstating it. But it isn't far from the truth. There was definitely a shift in our attitude to the negative. And got worse after reports were that all the visitors were emptying our grocery store and loading their SUV's to go back to Texas.

I found hope later when a post on social media said to limit personal contact to those you know and are familiar with. And with all the strangers leaving it meant my community was back. And it was as if someone gave me permission to meet with friends mana y mana.  And soon one friend emailed me to say her cell phone service had been erroneously shut off. Could she come and use my phone? Yes. And then another wondered if I had butcher paper. Yes.

And the sun came out and we stood on the deck six feet apart and talked. And smiled. The new normal may be enough until we figure this all out.

Meanwhile I am looking for reliable sources  on closings and what is an essential service and what isn't. A new group was set up to let me know the status of the neighboring town with some of those essential services. I have hopes another will spring up for here in my valley.

Things will never be as they were. The 1918 pandemic changed the landscape on the heels of WWI. But the Plague in Europe from 1347 to 1350 allowed the emergence of the Renaissance. Let's hope for the best and acknowledge that outcome is within us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swimming

The Pruning the Crown of Thorns

Polyethylene Packaging - a Dark Times Journal entry