Count Your Blessings


 

I have not liked this this time of year since my mother chose Thanksgiving as her exit time. For years my sister and I would get together for Thanksgiving and haunt all the empty state and national parks. On the 15th my sister left this earth. There goes Christmas. Mother was always afraid of ruining Christmas. 

On the 16th we had a snow squall. Sounds innocent doesn't it? My experience with squalls had been sailing on the outer banks. And fortunately I sailed with a cautious and experienced sailor. They were things we witnessed from safe harbors. I now they happen on land and you can sink there too. Red River, Enchanted Forest Cross County Ski Area, and the Town of Taos have already applied for federal emergency relief funds. In fact the whole County of Taos. A friend in Questa reported the power just came back on. Do not get rid of your wood burning stove. And since solar panels fly it might be wise to stay connected to the grid. Yes, it was down but it is now back up.


Town of Red River


And so is the internet. And shared photo by shared photo the extent of the damage is leaking out. We have no television up here. Just streaming and cable and cell phone service. All were impacted by winds and damage to lines and towers. And I got to be grateful I had internet and power and a woodshed and a wood burning stove. And that I spent money this last year in re-screwing down my metal roof and checking the chimney stacks. The storage shed got tossed on it face. But that is small potatoes in the grand scheme of things, as my dad used to say.


Once there was a forest here


So many of my friends have lost so much more. Bottom line I have gained - a bunch of excuses to not do anything this holiday. For an introvert who was never overly fond of this holiday what could be better. New camera lens, great books to read, vrbo guest who left a day early for me to clean up on a tight schedule. And left it is an excellent state. Plus oak firewood.


Lost a forest and gained a view


Remember to count your blessings. And if they are not immediately visible wait a bit. I was bemoaning having to get a new cell phone provider and then it dawned on me I get to banish Laura Garcia from my life. 

Looking forward to Epiphany.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swimming

The Pruning the Crown of Thorns

Polyethylene Packaging - a Dark Times Journal entry